can I file a lawsuit?

I has oral surgery at the dental school the dental school mail a bill of $742 to the right address then the insurance did not pay and the bill went up to $12799 and the hospital mail the bill of $12799 to the wrong address and the collection agency mail collection notices to the wrong address

6 Answers

Relevance
  • lucy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

The 1st bill for the $742 you received was most likely what the dental school thought that you would owe (after) your dental insurance paid $12,000.

So then after filing the claim on your dental insurance, then the insurance must have (denied) the claim for whatever reason. So after the dental insurance denied (paid zero), then that meant you owe (all) of the charges.

Whenever you seek treatment, then they will have you sign a form that states (If insurance does not pay or cover, then (I) will be held personally responsible for the debt).

So you need to find out from your dental insurance (why) they did not pay or denied the claim. Either way, either insurance pays and if not, then you owe the amount of the bill that you (agreed) to.

But for $12,000, I can guarantee if not paid, or some kind of repayment plan that they agree to, then the dental school will sue you.

• 1 year ago

You had the oral surgery. You owe the bill. You owed the original bill. Since you failed to pay it, of course the insurance company is not going to reimburse you. They don't enrich people twice. You failed to pay the 742, yet you filed a claim with the insurance company for reimbursement. Reimbursement for what? You never paid the bill so how can you expect reimbursement? Look up the meaning of the word "reimbursement". Seems you don't understand what the word means. You now owe 12,799. What are you waiting for - a 15 or 20k debt? Do you want to lose your car or house? Perhaps, you don't mind your wages being garnisheed for the repayment of your debt. I fail to understand how you think they owe you money, the insurance company, the collection agency or the school?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • `
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Who did you plan on suing? The hospital because you failed to make sure they had your correct mailing address or the collection agency who got the wrong address from the hospital? Your chances of winning a lawsuit are slim to none.

• 1 year ago

You can file law suits. You can sue all you want.

Lawyers will line up to take your money and file any claim you want.

Will you win anything? Probably not.

Are you going to sue the Post Office?

The dental school?

The insurance company?

The hospital.

The billing clerk?

The collection company?

WHO do you expect to payout for what particular thing your desire to sue about?

The dental student?

The mail carrier?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

A lawsuit for what? You still owe them the $12799.

• 1 year ago

You can sue your insurance company, but you don't have ANY grounds to sue anyone else.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.