Is there an animal that sounds like a drunk frat boy yelling?

I live in rural Virginia, about 20 miles east of the mountains. This evening around midnight, I was out walking my dogs when I heard a sound that sounded like a drunk frat boy cheering - kind of like the “oo-rah” of the Marines, but in a higher pitch. My first thought was rowdy hunters in the woods across the... show more I live in rural Virginia, about 20 miles east of the mountains. This evening around midnight, I was out walking my dogs when I heard a sound that sounded like a drunk frat boy cheering - kind of like the “oo-rah” of the Marines, but in a higher pitch.

My first thought was rowdy hunters in the woods across the street, but it’s not hunting season & it’s private property with no hunting allowed. I live on a dead-end street with maybe 10 houses. My neighbors are elderly & don’t make noises like that.

It scared me so bad that I ran inside, locked the doors & hid in the bedroom until my husband got home from work.

Could it be anything like a mountain lion?
1 answer 1