Is it a good idea for me to get a guinea pig?

I'm a female living in Northern Ireland were we don't eat guinea pigs btw and who loves animals. I own a dog labrador-border collie cross who is a bit of a crazy lad but very friendly. For my 18th birthday this January I want my parents to give me a pet for my gift. I want a small cage pet rather than... show more I'm a female living in Northern Ireland were we don't eat guinea pigs btw and who loves animals. I own a dog labrador-border collie cross who is a bit of a crazy lad but very friendly. For my 18th birthday this January I want my parents to give me a pet for my gift. I want a small cage pet rather than another dog, and with my dog a cat is not an option as he would probably get hurt due to his over friendliness, he adores cats but cats don't really like him.
I don't want fish as I had them before and they always ended up dying, plus as pretty as they are they aren't pets I could play and cuddle with.
Lizards are out due to large amounts of them having to eat live crickets, and I'm pretty much arachnophobic so a Tarantula is also not an options.
Turtles would be too hard to take care of and birds would be too noisy for my parents.
That leaves rodents - I read up on many different types and ended up deciding that Guinea pigs would be the best considering their the least likely to bite and are apparently very affectionate and sociable.
The reason I'm wondering if it's right for me is because of my dog, I can't be 100 procent sure but I'm pretty sure my dog isn't capable of hurting a living thing,he doesn't even hurt flies and as I meantioned he adores cats. I'm just wondering if there is any risk to the dog from the guinea pig whether it be physical harm or disease.