what is the difference betweem a city, a town, and a village?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Size and Population

• F
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Size normally but not exclusively. Incidentally, don't the Village People come from a city?

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

In British Columbia in Canada I once came across a "city" with 275 inhabitants!

In Britain a city is typically a very large town, but it is a specific legal status which makes it a "city". Every 10 years the monarch (currently Queen Elizabeth) nominates a town as a new city, so there is rivalry among the large town which are not yet legally "cities".

In general, across the world, cities are very big, towns are big, and villages are small, typically less than 5,000 inhabitants.

• 1 year ago

Generally, the size.

However, it is also a matter of perception.

A city is for 'citizens'.

A town is for 'towns people'.

A village is for 'villains'.

By area a city is the largest and a village is the smallest

By population a city can have over 100,000 people, a town 1000, to 100,000 people and a village less than 1000 people.

Another yardstick is :- a city has a cathedral . a town has a church and a village has a parish church or chapel.

Within the UK they are all very loosely described, because some cities have only a 2 or 3 thousand people.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Generally size.

• 1 year ago

It all has to do with the size and population of the area.

• 1 year ago

A city has a cathedral a town is smaller usually with a church and a village is a smaller sometimes isolated hamlet.

• Cymry
      Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

What is the smallest city in the UK?

• 1 year ago

A city has 100,000 and 300,000 or more people

A town has 1000 to 100,000 people

A village has less than a 1000

• pisgahchemist
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Seriously? There's a numerical classification? I think that's a stretch. Show me.

• 1 year ago

Have you never visited cities, towns or villages? Perhaps you live in a cave.

• 1 year ago

The sizes

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.