rlvjav
rlvjav asked in SportsCycling · 1 year ago

Why does riding a bicycle appear under the Sports category?

• rlvjav
    1 year ago

Cycling should be in the Gay category. No real man puts on skin tight spandex panties with a little fruity helmet and goes out in public.

• Heizenbergh

then youre a dumb@ss for posting a question and decides to answer it on your own. you stupid f*ck!

• 1 year ago

Tour De France and other racing events and its a physical activity

• 1 year ago

Because, cycling is a major sport in Europe and many other areas outside North America. It is a sport that is much more directly connected to the public than any arena based sport that people have to pay to watch in person. I live in a city where we host an annual Worldtour cycling race. If I wish to see it in person, all I have to do is ride my bicycle to the course. I don't have to pay anything to see the best cyclists in the world. To me, that is sports at its best

• 1 year ago

There are many reasons to ride a bike. Transportation is only one. Maybe cycling should be split up into Sports, Recreation, Touring, Fitness, Transportation, and a few others? Or maybe Yahoo! was right by putting it in the category that most people in the US think of when they think of bicycles.

• 1 year ago

I, myself am a cyclist. I use my bike to go work, to store to pick few things, and few other reasons. I do have a drivers license and a car. I enjoy riding a bike.

If I wrote for the yahoo staff I would put cyclist in transportation section.

• Jon
    1 year ago

This has come up before. I'm tempted to answer 'Because Yahoo is American, and so tends to see cycling as a sporting or recreational activity'. Note that the transport section, which includes subsections on rail, shipping and airlines is headed "Cars and transportation".

It took me some time after joining YA to find this subcategory as it had just not occurred to me to look for cycling under 'sports'.

• Kano
    1 year ago

Because very few people use a bike for transport, most use them for fun and exercise.

• 1 year ago

Because it's not called the "riding a bicycle" category. It's called the CYCLING category. When thousands of people show up to watch hundreds of cyclists compete in various races ranging from the Junior Category up to the Masters 40+ and 50+ divisions, it's a "sport".

Photo from last year's Giro Della Montagna race on "The Hill" in St. Louis. It was part of the 4 day event known as the Gateway Cup. https://gatewaycup.com/

Can you reach speeds of 30 mph on flat terrain? These guys & gals can.

• Mtrlpqbiker
      1 year agoReport

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/west-island-gazette/cycling-event-that-hits-streets-of-lachine-every-tuesday-gaining-momentum
      AVERAGE speeds over 30 mph

• 1 year ago

Because there are many sporting events that involves the use of a bicycle. Yahoo Answers has only provided so many categories. Though some subjects could fall into several categories. For example Motorcycle Racing in Sports or perhaps Motorcycles in Cars & Transportation.

Cycling questions could be asked in Cars & Transportation>>Commuting or Other Cars & Transportation etc. However you're more likely to get the best answer from people who understand Cycling sporting events.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.