Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 year ago

Is it illegal to ride a horse in public?

I live in Dyersburg in Tennessee and im gonna get a horse, is it illegal to ride a horse in public or would it be dangerous? I’m kinda scared to do it lol

1 year ago

No, I ride my horse to school all the time.

1 year ago

depends on where you live, but in los angeles where i live, its illegal

1 year ago

you obviously shouldn't do it if you are this ignorant and untrained.

• 1 year ago

Hi so horses have been around a lot longer than any motor car. how do you think the west was won not without a horse for sure.

• 1 year ago

Generally It’s not illegal but there are jerks everywhere. Some people will think it funny to honk there horn at you are see how close they can get their car to you. I would be very careful about going on road. Also I have had my horse step on Brocken glass near roads.

Other issue can be dogs. Carry a crop. I have had dogs charge my horse. If possible stick to bridle paths or fields. Just be careful and I would recommend a group ride at first. Horses will find comfort in friends

• Snezzy
      1 year agoReport

For inconsiderate drivers, well, my wife tells of the day at Fort Jackson when some idjit in an Army motor pool jeep came up behind her and honked. Her horse Snezzy (yes, that's where I get the name) put two hoof marks into the radiator. Try explaining THAT, soldier!

• 1 year ago

You need to check your local laws. Where I live you can ride a horse all over town, must abide the rules like a car. Reflective for you and your horse at night and flashing lights also. You will need an incredibly well trained horse with the right temperament also. I personally would have never jeopardized my horse or myself lives to the traffic and the reckless driving.

1 year ago

It all depends where you live, in my county no problem unless your in tha capitol city, no horses, horse drawn vehicles or riding without special permit.

Out in my neighborhood where I live now I drive my girl just about every day, my kids and grandkids ride their horses to the local stores and gas stations. As long as the hose is traffic safe and you follow the road laws and it’s legal where you live then it’s okay to ride. Remember to wear a helmet and to ride in pairs or let someone know where you will be riding and when you will be back.

• 1 year ago

In some places i would not be surprised if it was illegal, where I live people ride their horses through neighbourhoods which isn't unusual. The only thing people complain about is the horse droppings (which are very good for gardens) and the fact that the riders don't pick them up. Problem being is that they can't when riding a horse. I'd say as long as you stay away from busy roads and places that the horse can get easily spooked you'll be okay.

• 1 year ago

Depends on your local laws. Unless your house is EXTREMELY well trained then you should never take it near vehicles.

1 year ago

No, it's not illegal. People do this all the time.