Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 year ago

Why is online poker such a joke?

I decided to have a go at online poker tonight, so I signed up. And seriously, I have never seen so many straits and flashes in my life!

I played live tournament poker at my local club, and I would be lucky to see one flush in a hundred or so hands.

But on this site, every time I made a hand, my opponent made a flush or a straight. I must have lost five pots with two pair while my opponent getting a straight, and three or four pots with an over pair.

And on one hand, I played AA, and I hit a set on the turn, but it just so happened that my opponent also hit a straight. Then we got our stacks in, and I hit a Full House on the river! lol

I swear, you take the most epic and unbelievable hands at WSOP...you will get 5-6 hands like this in just 100 hands.

I'm a pretty decent player, I play a tight strategy, and I am mildly profitable when I play tournaments. (I only play for fun.) But online poker is a joke! I'm going to stick with live poker, where people don't get a straight or a flush every second or third hand.

• 1 year ago

I don't believe that online poker is rigged in any way. The computer programs that determine which cards to deal are every bit as random as a thoroughly shuffled physical deck of cards. But there are several factors that make some people believe the system is "rigged" or skewed in some way.

#1: Hand speed. Online poker moves much faster than live poker. Players typically have a strict time limit to make their play, players can declare their move before their turn an the computer acts instantly when it becomes their turn, and the computer can award chips to the winner then shuffle and deal the next hand in a split second. As a result you will usually see at least 5x more hands per hour online than in live poker with ratios even higher at times. When you play more hands, you are going to see more "unique" or memorable odditites like bad beats, monster hands, long shot draws etc. These things WILL happen and the more hands you play the more of them you'll see.

#2: Multi-table play: Its common for players who take online poker seriously to play more than one table at a time (through split screen or multi-monitor set ups, or sometimes even multiple computers). This just compounds issue #1 by further multiplying the number of hands per hour you can see and drastically increasing the frequency of those memorable oddball hands.

#3: Lousy players: In free roll or low limit online poker you will find a lot more terrible players, for example players who will call with nearly any hand pre-flop (and opponents who will let those lousy players get to the flop without a raise). As a result you have more players drawing and more odds that someone will hit something, so you see a lot more bad beats & crazy draws because you aren't starting every hand by eliminating players with low cards.

#4: Calling stations. In addition to bad pre-flop play you have a lot of "calling station" players who just call every bet all the way to the showdown. So you see more of the late draws or mediocre hands being beaten where better players would have folded earlier, before you saw their hand (and before the bet half their stack on a gut shot draw).

I think that if you took the time to take long term data (at least 1,000 hands, preferably much more), and analyzed the results of online poker vs live poker you'd find there isn't much difference in results, and the differences you do find would be attributable to player decision making, not to rigged decks

1 year ago

Sorry, I don’t gamble.

• 1 year ago

Right, you only observe one flush per few hours of live donkfest poker where ~5 people are seeing every flop, people who chase flushes like they're the last bus out of hell. Story checks out.

And you see a straight or flush "every second or third hand" online, uhuh. At this point, you have zero credibility, so it was very self-aware of you to make your "question" anonymous.

• 1 year ago

Playing one night, you are certainly the expert. I'm surprised you haven't figured it all out already.

• Kieth
    1 year ago

It's how the casinos get the rubes to come in. Online its "WIN WIN WIN! COME ON DOWN TO DIAMOND JOE'S!" Then they go to the casino and max their credit cards losing. The only bigger fraud racket is Publishers Clearing House selling a half pound of Jelly Belly for $20.

• audrey
    1 year ago

Scam to get your money. I know a person that list his home, car, wife, kids and self respect to online poker.

• Divide By Zero
      1 year agoReport

So he was a bad player with no discipline or self-control. What does that have to do with the fairness of online poker? Are you suggesting that sites should rig the game so that bad players like him don't lose? THAT would be a scam.

• 1 year ago

Its like that online to encourage people to play more, thinking they;re really good.

ANd then they get hit by the loses.

Online poker is rigged.

• Divide By Zero
      1 year agoReport

Rather than be humbled by the experience and try to improve, people like you and OP blame it on a conspiracy theory, so you never improve at poker.