Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 1 year ago

How do I create an 80s effect on my pics in GIMP?

I mean that 80s blurry image quality. How do I create that effect on my pics?

• Frank
    1 year ago

All of the shots that I took in the 80s were sharp. Not sure what you mean by "that blurry look." Please provide a link to an image that best illustrates what you're referring to.

If you want to get blurry images, then apply a gaussian blur. Typically images will be most sharp in the center, so applying a blur to the entire image is not what you'd want to do. Start by creating a soft selection around the edges of the image. Then apply the gaussian blur, but don't over do it. If you want to then blur the center of the image a little bit, then create a second selection and apply a very subtle amount of blur. The key here is to be extremely subtle with the amount of blur.

To go a step further, try using a color preset of a color print film from the 80s. Kodak was a pretty popular film type. What you want to avoid is having a color palate that is from a modern film.

• 1 year ago

I shot plenty of pix in the 80s and have NO recollection of a specific blurry look. The fashion at the time was sharp as a tack edges, bright, clear color and crisp printing. What you may be seeing are aged prints that get muddy in time (regardless of era). The lenses were capable of very sharp images, even the cheap lenses were better than a lot of the kit lenses available now. Most people also understood ISO and realized they had to use faster film in lower light. Again you may be seeing grain, which on faster films could soften edges within the image. This especially happened on the very high speed films (and still does, it is a technical aspect that must be dealt with on the aesthetic level.)

The lack of image stabilizing lenses did not impact the art form in general. Specifically yes, once IS was released, we could shoot out of helicopters without gyroscope mounts, and that did make life easier, but how often does one shoot out of a helicopter? Wildlife also got a bit easier as you could handhold and thereby move more quickly. All that notwithstanding, people still got great images out of moving helicopters, planes, of animals in motion. It just required work, practice and a good eye.

Background blur is a function of depth of field. Set the aperture to a low number and you'll get the background out of focus. Make sure the shutter speed is set to match. Use the light meter.

• John P
    1 year ago

At most times in the history of photography people were aiming for sharp pictures! And certainly by the mid 1960s (let alone the 1980s) achieving a sharp photo under most circumstances was within the capability of almost anybody who had the use of a good 35mm camera.

Are you possibly asking about blurring background but keeping the main subject sharp?

You can blur digital photos in almost any software or app.

• 1 year ago

? I took plenty of pics in the 1980s that didn't have the "blurry image quality" so I'm not sure what you are after.

Any examples?

• keerok
    1 year ago

Compared to today's photos, pictures in the 80's look that way due to the lack of anti-shake technology in the cameras. The only way to get very sharp pictures was to mount the SLR on a tripod, use a remote shutter cable and enable mirror lock-up before shooting but even despite those measures, razor sharp they weren't.

If you want that slight blur then you simply go to Filters-Blur-Blur. If that is not enough, undo then use Gaussian Blur instead.

• jeannie
      1 year agoReport

Or use a proper shutter speed and the right ISO film. Duh. Has nothing to do with the cameras or anti-shake technology.