Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 year ago

Is retarded the same as Autism. When I was young we used the word retarded?

please no PC people.

• Mike
    1 year ago

Mental retardation is now called intellectual disability. It was broken down into three levels: Individuals with the lowest mental age level (less than three years) were identified as idiots; imbeciles had a mental age of three to seven years, and morons had a mental age of seven to ten years. Non-scientists tended to use these terms as insults with the result that the scientists looked for new terms. The only current use of any of them seems to be idiot-savant, a disabled person with a high skill in one area. The condition may be associated with autism.

• Cogito
    1 year ago

The word 'retarded' is no longer used in polite society. It's an insult.

You should know better nowadays.

People can be slow learners, have learning difficulties, or have extremely low IQs.

Having any type of autism is entirely different.

Many people with autism are highly intelligent, although many are not.

• John P
    1 year ago

Autism is one of many forms of mental "abnormality". "Retarded" is a "popular term" for people who have one of several forms of "abnormality". I use the word "abnormality" in inverted commas because experts in that field might take issue with any notion of "difference" - so I leave it to the experts to answer you more fully that I have done.

As far as I can remember from school days in southern England in the late 1950s/early 1960s, we did not use the term "retarded", but I cannot remember what sort of words we used for mild insults of that sort.

• 1 year ago

They are different conditions. The word retarded originally referred to someone suffering from mental retardation.

1 year ago

Autism is more about issues with processing the input from the world around them. They become easily over stimulated by events that are happening around them. When in a controlled environment, they are often much smarter than children that would be considered "normal:.

Mentally handicapped (or "retarded") are children who just do not have the mental ability to process INFORMATION.

Basically, autism is more about how they process emotional and physical stimulation while mentally handicapped is more about how they process actual information.

A child can have both autism and a mental handicap. But a child can also have either one of the two conditions without the other condition.

There are also many different levels to both conditions.

1 year ago

Retarded means a very low IQ, autistic people can have very high IQs. You can be autistic and be retarded as well.

• ?
    1 year ago

I call myself retarded when I did something really stupid. It just means really stupid.

Autistic people can be super smart. Problary even the retarded autistic people, would be smart if they knew how to teach them.

Fact of the matter is society wants top professionals to be smart and they purposely dumb the rest down. So good luck being autistic and thinking the teachers actually care to enlighten you.

Florida has a classroom full of truly retarded in their schools, most swimming pool accidents.

1 year ago

there the same

• 1 year ago

People with autism can still be highly intelligent. "Retards" are also called mentally handicapped, because they are precisely that.