Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

this vet said really small dogs have small brains (and not too smart) what is your experience?

those really small dogs they breed now, not pomerainians etc. as small as your hand

• 1 year ago

While this is not necessarily true, I can see where the stereotype is coming from. In general, small dogs have been bred for companionship and looks, while most larger breed dogs are working dogs. So larger dogs are often more easily trained and willing to please, while smaller dogs are often more independent and a little selfish, to put it that way. While this does not mean they are dumb, they are just often more difficult to train, but they can still be smart. Depends on the dog.

• 1 year ago

Is the vet small?

I bet he/she is!

Hope that helps!

• 1 year ago

not true.

• mohole
    1 year ago

I'd say change your vet. I've had small dogs (and large0. The smallest have been bright enough.

• 1 year ago

Not true! I have had a Samoyed and two Poms, my Poms were smarter. They learn commands incredibly quick. Might be because poms are so eager to please their owner. Poodles are one of the smartest breeds regardless of size. My experience leads me to believe that although small, that has little to do with their learning ability and eagerness to please their owners.

• 1 year ago

Thats a fact... YOU HAVE NEVER seen a Chicawawa or whatever the little ankle nipping non stop non trainable Mexican dogs be trained for anything..

• GllntKnight
      1 year agoReport

"Chicawawa"? Really? Perhaps "retired old sarge" your brain was injured and/or you're a causality of having skull to small for your brain, eh?

• 1 year ago
  • 1 year ago

You need a new vet

• Jeff
    1 year ago

I've had small dogs for 30 yrs Some are smart, some are a bit dim.

My current chihuahua...lol. looks over her shoulder and runs when she passed gas and doesn't stop to poop. She keeps walking and acts like it scares her.

I was going to ask a question about her doing that, but the breed can be hydrocephlic. She is my little water head and I love her so, i accept it.

• 1 year ago

It sure looks like it!