Do U.S. Navy ships catch fish to feed their crew?

Hey, so I was watching a TV show called "Chef Abroad" and in it, there was a chef on a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier. I started thinking..."hmmm I wonder if they have devices on the ship to harvest fish from the ocean." Logistically speaking, wouldn't that be the ideal way to feed a crew, save time money AND effort? If this is not going on, WHY?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

No.

There are too many government fishing regulations.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Only in your imagination!

They would have to get a commercial fishing licence and totally be reequipped as a trawler.

Or in other words not possible!

• 1 year ago

Of course not. We're not fishing trawlers and not equipped for those kinds of operations.

However, in my time, I have seen the rare occasion, where guys that actually had fishing poles stored somewhere were allowed and hour or two to fish off the ship.

What they actually did with the fish, I have no clue. Probably threw them back, unless their friend was one of the mess cooks.

• 1 year ago

No.

It wouldn't be ideal way, because the ships have to go to parts of the world where there aren't edible fish.

It wouldn't save time or effort. It would cost both, because someone wanting to kill the crew could dump poisoned fish in the path of the ship, so they'd have to test all the fish or poison, which would take more time and effort than getting food the normal way.

And there's the problem that it's illegal to catch fish in many places.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cee
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No, but I've heard of hand grenades being used in New Guinea during WW2 to catch fish by the Australian Army.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

No.

• Smitty
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Navy has to be combat ready can't do that fishing.

• 1 year ago

not done. unreliable. and the Navy needs to feed its crew every day

• Cancer1 year agoReport

Unreliable? How so? It's not the main source of food it would just be an alternative.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Would not be efficent

• Cancer1 year agoReport

Adding free food is not efficient? Ok.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No, but I have fished off of the stern gate of an amphibious assault ship before. Caught a lot of fish off of Catalina.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.