First guitar, laminate top or go straight for a solid top?

After talking to the salesman, it would be a better investment to go straight to a solid top if I'm serious because it's something I can keep vs outgrowing a laminate one. I can't tell the difference yet now, but is he upselling me? A FS800 would set me back around $350 after also getting a bag and... show more After talking to the salesman, it would be a better investment to go straight to a solid top if I'm serious because it's something I can keep vs outgrowing a laminate one. I can't tell the difference yet now, but is he upselling me? A FS800 would set me back around $350 after also getting a bag and accessories, but I guess that's better than if I need to upgrade from a F310P which is $200 already.

Another concern would be that I'll be carrying the guitar outside in the Canadian winter if I'm going to lessons. No car, have to rely on buses. Would this warp and crack the wood?

He also showed me a Denver guitar, don't recall the model but I think it was around $160, already comes with a bag. I can't find much info about this brand - what's your opinion on it?