Is it possible to contract hiv or hepatitis this way?

I work as a cashier and while bagging items I noticed blood on the bag. I don't know if it was there before or what. I tried to avoid it but after I cashed the man out I noticed a smear of blood on my finger. I had not visible cuts or wounds. I used hand sanitizer three times and didn't get to wash my hands until about two hours later. I'm very worried about getting hiv or hepatitis.

• Edna

What's most likely is that the blood on the outside of the bag was coming from a leaky package of meat or poultry that was inside the bag. An unfrozen package of poultry is notorious for "leaking".

It was animal blood, and a human can't contract HIV or hepatitis from the blood of an animal.

HIV? No. Hepatitis? Unlikely, but maybe...that virus is a bit more contagious.

• ?

no you can't

• k w

just wear some nitrile gloves.....flesh or white, for your protection......besides, the register receipt has a hormone disrupter in the ink......not safe to touch.....and you can't wash it off.....

I wouldn't worry about it , I have had worse things than that happen to me and went to the doctors and they didn't even think there was a need for a blood test I had unprotected sex once with a HIV positive chick by accident well she lied to me accualy the dirty filthy junkie animal 3 months later had a test and was negative

• paul

wow and your still alive to ask this ???? amazing

• Stacie

No, you should be fine, both transfer through a mix of fluids. You would have to touch an open wound with the blood.