Need betta fish advice!?

i’ve had my betta for about 3 years now, i recently moved to college and took him with me. once i got here i bought him a new tank from petsmart that’s about 2 gallons i believe, it came with a light and a filter but i took the filter out because it was way too strong. i have a small plant and a little castle... show more i’ve had my betta for about 3 years now, i recently moved to college and took him with me. once i got here i bought him a new tank from petsmart that’s about 2 gallons i believe, it came with a light and a filter but i took the filter out because it was way too strong. i have a small plant and a little castle decoration thing that he can hide in. for the past few weeks he hasn’t been eating and has just been laying in the castle decoration all day long, i put about 4-5 food pellets in his tank every night but he doesn’t eat them and i do a complete water change every week because the tank is small, i’ve been doing all of this for the whole time i’ve owned him and he’s never acted like this before. i was thinking of getting him new gravel for the tank and a new plant and giving the tank a good scrub tomorrow and changing the water, is there anything else i can do or is he just getting old? :(
6 answers 6