Tinder: why is distance shown in feed different than distance shown in that person’s profile?

For example, I just matched with someone. Before matching with them, the distance in their profile said 14km away, and on swiping right and matching with them, I immediately check their profile, which still said 14km away, but when I checked the feed (post that says “it’s a new match!” with their profile picture),... show more For example, I just matched with someone. Before matching with them, the distance in their profile said 14km away, and on swiping right and matching with them, I immediately check their profile, which still said 14km away, but when I checked the feed (post that says “it’s a new match!” with their profile picture), it says 9km away. I have not changed locations, changed wifi, or even closed the app during this time, and this all happened within the span of less than a minute.

I’ve checked some other profiles I’ve matched with from other days, and the same thing is occurring. Their profile says one distance, but posts in my feed about them say a different distance. This includes posts in feed about matching with them, and also posts about them adding pictures , etc.

I know that tinder recalculated the distance based on wherever my match or I have opened/used the app (and not necessarily where we are currently located), and that the distance calculated is not the exact distance, but based on the distance between the grid boxes of where we were/are located when we accessed the app (or something similar)...

But still, I would like to know why this is happening, and which distance is accurate.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

FYI I’m using tinder in Japan, and the app is fully updated. I’m running ios12