Why isn't the government honest with US with how the US is spending the defense budget?

I served 3 years in the US army from 2000-2003 as a supply specialist. I served in a field artiley unit. I am one of the few people that actually likes and is grateful for all VA services I recive with the VA here in Indianapolis. But is not what is discussed when it comes to defense budget. The US spends more in... show more I served 3 years in the US army from 2000-2003 as a supply specialist. I served in a field artiley unit. I am one of the few people that actually likes and is grateful for all VA services I recive with the VA here in Indianapolis. But is not what is discussed when it comes to defense budget. The US spends more in defense than the next 10 top countries in defense spending. As a former soldier I can tell you other countries spend more money on providing better quality meals then the US, other countries have better living quarters for active duty military, other countries invest more money in preventive care and physical therapy for the military, other countries have better pay for soldiers with regards to cost of living, with regards to logistics other spend morr in having better logistic equipment, with regards to individual firearms issued I liked my M16 and M249 but I do not consider them the be all end all. The bulk of the defense spending is used to operate certain un needed bases , missiles and bombs. The defense budget does not include anything for training and equipping active duty soldiers to help during a national disaster.