FN - 2187 asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 12 months ago

Is the women only area in the gym a bit sexist?

67 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago
    Best answer

"Is the women only area in the gym a bit sexist?"

That's the definition of legal sexism, or legal discrimination. It is to disallow one gender from access, or opportunity just because of their gender.

Now I fully understand, as one female answerer has stated, that some women might be more comfortable in women's only situations at certain times. But when feminists close down men's only spaces under the concept that those are legally sexist institutions, then how can we respectfully allow women only areas that ban men from equal access using a complete double standard?

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Yes I cant get a good view from that far..

• 11 months ago

Yes it is, and also having a WOMEN"S ONLY Gym is sexist. Women don't care though because they benefit. But, some of these same women would openly call for their daughters to be forcefully included into Boy Scouts of America because of "equality". Go figure.

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

women who join the gym because they're really out of shape are often embarrassed to be seen in workout clothes that cling and show more than street clothes. their biggest fear is to be ridiculed. and yeah, men are pigs like that. Cindy Crawford - a glorious specimen of a woman - once told about some guys standing behind her at the gym talking about what big asss she had, and they had big huge beer guts, but they judged her - one of the most beautiful women in the world.

these women would likely not join the gym at all if not for women's only sections. they need to be able to relax, focus and not be judged. can't you muscleheads at least allow them that? exactly how does it harm you to let women work out in peace?

• wobafetty
      Lv 6
      11 months agoReport

No "man" judges anyone on appearance. Petty little boys whose opinions deserve no attention maybe. Dont assume all men are pigs. If woman want more respect the first step is for them to stop whining about other peoples opinions. Its pathetic.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Nick
    Lv 5
    12 months ago

Well I think certain areas of the gym are more appealing to a particular gender.

• 12 months ago

Does that part of the gym have female exercise equipment?

• 12 months ago

no its not sexist if men wouldnt think with the wrong head all of the time the world would be a safer place for women

• Henry12 months agoReport

Not all men think that way ive multiple chemical im balance of brain I can't feel physical attraction only emotional and I've fought women think the same way they just know how to control it better many have left because they can't wait few months it takes to establish the connection for sex

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

I understand why it's sexist. I think it's fair to assume that some males that may go to the gym are creeping but so are some females so it's only fair to have a men's area as well.

There's always a reason behind everything though. Thinking of it from a business perspective, women probably kept bringing to attention the issue of creeping men; therefore, the solution was a private area for women. However, men have not brought up the issue of creeping women at the gym. So, if I was the owner of the gym it would kind of be a big unnessessary expense.

As a female, I always worked out in the women's section but if I was a male I wouldn't feel comfortable experiencing someone staring me down when I'm just trying to work out either; so either way, I would say from a perspective of equality, there should be both, but from a business standpoint, there is no point unless a gym is losing its male members due to not having a private area for them. This was a good question

• 12 months ago

Depends on how you see it. Personally, i don’t think it’s sexist, as long as there is a Men’s only section too. For instance, I know a few men who find it somewhat hard to work out in front of women and vice versa. I myself as a female, get nervous around bulky, decent looking guys, so I feel like that hinders my workout because I struggle to concentrate properly. But then again, I’m a 16 year old socially anxious female so that’s a problem with me, not the guys. I’m sure there are many other women who don’t mind working out around men, but I don’t think that comfort should be seen as a ‘one size fits all’ kinda thing. It’s very subjective.

• amy
    Lv 4
    12 months ago

All gyms should be separated by gender

• Anonymous
    12 months ago

It’s like having a whites only section.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.