Jamar asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 years ago

My dad is getting a total reverse shoulder arthroplasty on his left shoulder. Will he still be able to exercise that arm?

Update:

According to him, the doctor says that he won't be able to exercise his left shoulder anymore after the surgery. Is there anyway he'll be able to exercise his left arm?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

That depends on the success of the surgery and how well his therapy goes. If they replace the joint than yes he will have lot of issues and might not be able to do things like pullups since he would rip the joint apart.

Let the doctors and therapist and your dad decide. He might just need lot of therapy and resistance bands. You have to start very light. I am in a trade where more than 50% in my trade has a shoulder issue. I known dozens of people to have shoulder surgery and several have had full replacements. The ones who had full reconstruction and not the joint replaced i think did better. Since they have the natural body parts still.

After therapy and resistance bands there are lot of bodyweight exercise you can do. Everything is going to be in small increments. So do not get disappointed if progress in recovery lacks or gets setback.

And FYI the closer the injury to the core it takes priority over extremities. Elbows over wrist, shoulder more important than elbow. Since you need to shoulder to move certain parts of the arm, it overrides the lower priority joints. In other words you do not need the elbow or wrist to move the shoulder. Yet you need to shoulder or the muscles in that joint to move the elbow or wrist. Certain movements do not require the shoulder. It is the small little muscles, ligaments and tendons in the shoulder girdle that assist.

• Joe
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

Ask the physician.... Most likely he will have to go through physical therapy after it.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

nvimpkyi

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

ywphdqmm

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 years ago

If the doctor said this well maybe it's because the doctor knows what he is talking about.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.