Who prescribes antidepressants and medication to mentally ill people?

Hi, I'm sorry this is probably a really dumb question but I'm just interested say if someone started going to therapy with a psychotherapist does a psychotherapist have the ability to prescribe medications to a person suffering with OCD or depression or whatever mental illness or does a doctor get involved... show more Hi, I'm sorry this is probably a really dumb question but I'm just interested say if someone started going to therapy with a psychotherapist does a psychotherapist have the ability to prescribe medications to a person suffering with OCD or depression or whatever mental illness or does a doctor get involved because usually doctors are the only ones that prescribe medications and in terms of a medication for a mental illness who decides how long a person stays on the medication and do they collect it from their therapist or a pharmacy can they have the pharmacy refill their prescription for life? I know this is a lot of questions but I really know nothing about this subject and want to find out more from people who do and have went through this process, Thank you all for reading and your help!! :)