Is it absurd to think that the universe and of its entirety is meaningless? To think that nothing that anyone does actually matters.?

• Raja
    1 year ago

You have life on this earth. You have lot to think and see on this earth until you die. You are not going to live a life of a sage in the middle of a forest. If you go in the route of nothing matters, your life will become nothing. You will not find anyone to take care of you, help you and live with you. Don't go in the negative path. Your life depends on your thoughts and principles. A life without a principle is like a piece of paper drifted in the wind. All creatures including human beings are ruled by spirits. A human being during his/her life time is living with many spirits which have joined one by one since birth. Spirits determine your destiny from your daily activities, talks and thoughts too.

• 1 year ago

I don't agree with you. We construct meaning in any way we want. We can have meaning in the present that influences in some way all of eternity. But, meaning only comes to those who want to find meaning. We can exist without it, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

• ?
    1 year ago

The universe is like data.......subject to analysis and interpretation

• Josh was saying is Is the meaning of the universe that it is meaningless? And we know that is self-refuting

• 1 year ago

Ahh. In bojack horseman season 3 EP 11 he talks about how our life is basically meaningless. "In the grand scheme of things, we are just little specks that will one day be forgotten." And its true. Live in the moment, be happy and have fun because before you know it, it'll all be over. Try and make yours and other peoples lives as best as you can. But basically, in my opinion, this IS all meaningless. It depends on the person weather it brings you comfort or anxiety. I think its okay to think of the universe that way. Just dont try and mess somebodys head up with the concept. I hope you take what I'm saying in the best way. What we do now matters only RIGHT NOW, yknow. Maybe this wont make sense to you right now because youre doubting things, I hope you find peace in your mind.

1 year ago

Yea thats what I thought back in the 60"s

Damn Drugs!

• 1 year ago

If there are relative and absolute perspectives, truth, morality, etc., then there is relative and absolute meaning.

It's akin to saying,

"There is no truth."

"There is no morality."

If you believe there is no objective or absolute truth or morality, then that means the sayings, "There is no objective truth," and "There is no objective morality" are they themselves not objectively true or moral.

In the same manner, saying the universe is meaningless is itself a meaning, which would mean saying "The universe is meaningless," is, itself, meaningless, or can't be.

But ultimately, it depends on what level you choose to look at it from on whether or not the world is seen in a particular way.

• 1 year ago

It may be that the universe, and we, are here not for our own personal fulfillment, but for some other purpose. We may be goldfish in someone's countertop goldfish bowl. They too might wonder what the meaning of life is - and there is a meaning for them to be there - it's just not about them personally.

• I don't measure "matters" by longevity, nor by whether someone else is aware of something important to me.

1 year ago

no