Why can't I tolerate lactose-free milk?

When I drink normal milk, I get diarrhea. When I drink lactose free milk, I still get diarrhea. When I drink soy milk I don't get diarrhea. What the hell is wrong with me?

• Favorite Answer

Despite what "lactose-free" milk like lactaid says on the label, it actually DOES still have SOME lactose in it. That is because what they do is take regular milk and treat it with Lactase. Lactase is the enzyme the body produces to break down the lactose in milk. People like you (and me) who are SEVERELY lactose intolerant have so little natural lactase in our systems that even the negligible amounts of lactose in lactose-free milks are still too much for our systems to handle thus resulting in diarrhea. any product that says it is "dairy free" should be fine (like soy milk, as you mentioned, or almond or cashew milk).

Source(s): my dietitian
  • 1 year ago

I don't know but soy milk is just as unhealthy as regular milk.

• Luke
      1 year agoReport

I wasn't suggesting that regular milk is unhealthy for people who can tolerate it.

1 year ago

Nobody will ever accuse you of being a Proud Boy.