Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 11 months ago

What are we gonna do the North pole keeps shifting?

adjust the settings on your compass.

Hmm, ..., we can't stop it. The shift is beyond our technological ability.

They have been shifting for millions of years. If we had to do anything, we should have done it long ago.

Right now, it is an annoyance for airports, where landing strips numbering depends on the magnetic alignment of the runway, relative to magnetic north.

Runway "24" is the one that is aligned such that you would approach it on a heading of (approximately) 240 magnetic. This number identifies any runway with a alignment between 235 and 245 degrees (magnetic).

The same runway is also called "06" if you approach it from the other end.

Recently, some airports on the American east coast had to renumber their runways. Because of that, many aviation documents had to be reprinted (e.g., guides on approach patterns for each runway at each airport). Otherwise, if what you knew as runway 24 is now called runway 23, you might have a hard time finding the instructions for the approach.

"Eastern 245 Heavy, you are cleared to land on 23-Right."

Darn, my pilot book does not have a runway 23 for this airport.

As far as I know, this is the other major annoyance caused by the shifting magnetic pole. Nautical maps already have a magnetic rose printed for a specific date, with information on the annual variation, so that the navigator can do the correction without bothering anyone else.

I live in Alaska; fairly close to the North Pole. I don't know about the magnetic part, but I can tell you that the weather has definitely changed rapidly over these last few years. I read about a shift in earth's magnetic field recently, but I would quote a better source than daily mail if I were you.

SURF THE NORTH POLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Clive

No it isn't. The North MAGNETIC pole keeps moving around and it always has done. So what? The only difference it makes is to anyone who uses a magnetic compass for navigation.

And I keep Farting

The world keeps going round and round like the Wheels on the Bus

All day long

The Geographical North pole never changes but the Magnetic North pole is always changing over millenia

This can be shown through the Magnetic Flux on the Sea floor where the Mid Atlantic lies

It looks like zebra stripes

• Ronald 7

The only thing that will move is Compasses

• Paula

We need to use GPS to check our position and not rely on a compass.

Particularly up near the north pole.

Exactly the same thing is happening at the south pole.

All ships and airplanes use GPS these days so there is no problem.

• MARK

This is not my field and I do not feel competent to comment on it but I would not use a tabloid newspaper like the 'Daily Mail' as a source of scientific fact. I would much prefer to get it from a reliable source.

Wow. What are we gonna do about it?......hmmmmm......I know!.....I'll go on to the next question here at Yahoo! Answers.