Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 months ago

Does reading actually help you?

So basically everyday after school, when I have time i read. I literally only have about 1-2 hours left while I read some book which is very very long. I read it for the story but the thought came to my mind. Does reading actually help you? This is just out of pure curiosity. Like is there any scientific studies that proof reading is good for you? Or a, I just damaging my eyes.

It most certainly does. Regular readers are people more open to new ideas and different ways of living. Their brains are more active and form stronger neurological connections - a HUGE help in later life when these connections may prevent you from developing Alzheimer's.

Readers have wider vocabularies and are able to express themselves more clearly in both speech and writing.

There are NO downsides to a regular reading habit. Just make sure you're sitting comfortably, and in a good light.

It keeps me alive, keep me still believe in happiness, kindness. Whenever I am tired of reality it provides me tranquility

Reading is a very solitary and personal activity. So it is you the only one who can answer that question. I myself like reading, it gives my life an "extra room", and along daily life I often reminisce beautiful thoughts and scenes that I've read, which bring me joy and new ideas. I also think my capability to express myself, my reasoning capabilities, and even my human compassion have been increased for having read so much and so diverse.

But I wouldn't ever try to impose reading to someone who does not "get it", under the excuse that "it is good for them". The good thing about our times is that "being a reader" is no longer something that gives you "social status"; in other times, people tried to "look well read", even if it wasn't true, because that caused admiration in others. That is no longer true, now nobody cares if you're a reader or not. So it's only up to you to decide if such activity is worth your while. If you do, nobody can dissuade you, and if you don't, nobody can convince you.

Certain readings, yes

It exposes you to new ideas. It helps with word comprehension, and it gets you to think.

"The researchers found that becoming engrossed in a novel enhances connectivity in the brain and improves brain function.

Interestingly, reading fiction was found to improve the reader's ability to put themselves in another person’s shoes and flex the imagination in a way that is similar to the visualization of a muscle memory in sports."

Help you do what?

It really depends on what you are reading.I enjoy reading.I like to read novels especially mysteries and sometimes but I do read other things but it has to catch my attention.If I can't get into within the first 5 chapters then it goes back. Books will help you when you are reading them for information instead of for pleasure.

• zeno

Reading reference books, how to book,

Self help books, prevention books, stuff

That increases you understanding or self

Sufficiency or prepares prepares you more

Helps you. Reading sports stuff or romance

Stuff or entertainment stuff is a waste of time

And doesn't help you.

• zeno

Entertainment is only a distraction keeping you
      From being more productive and being more
      successful In life. Too many focus on entertainment
      And neglect working out or spending time with their
      Kids or getting important work completed.

• A

Reading opens your mind to new ideas