Should the Bible be taken literally?

Everywhere possible, dear one.

• Jeremy

I think an all knowing being would be perfectly able to make it clear to all people whether or not it is supposed to be taken literally. But, that hasn't happened. So, I think it should be taken as a mix of myths, superstitions, legends, laws and history of an ancient people. Our ancestors made it.

It didn't come from a god. Some of it is true. Some of it isn't.

• Zhu

Only the dumber Prots take the Bible liberally. Leviathan, eg, is not a literal dragon.

I believe its all metaphorical, and more like a guide to what we should do, instead of those actual events happening. Think about it, why are the people called John etc, when they live in the middle east?

I believe in The Bible as a metaphor through which I express my religious convictions.

when good sense makes common sense most certainly.There are many things written in the Bible we will never understand.Please leave the mysteries to God.He knows best.

• Althea

According to 2 Timothy 3:16, 17 it shows that all scriptures is inspired of God beneficial for teaching, reproving, setting things straight, & disciplining in righteousness so that the man of God can be completely equipped for every good work.

More literally than most people think!

Literally speaking it should never be taken.

It is so very sad that so very many miss the vital truth that the Bible is to be read to hear God.

Whether you take it literally, as you put it, or not it will avail nothing except you hear Him.

• antonius

Ernest S is referring to self-hypnosis and does not understand how obvious this shows in his answers and comments, that he is, where Christianity is concerned, totally self-hypnotized.