2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee clunking and resistance moving when in four wheel drive?

Driving around in 2 wheel drive is fine, but when I switch it into four wheel drive, then I can’t take any turns at slow speeds without hearing clunking under the car, having major resistance like the car is fighting me on turning. If I switch it back into two wheel drive after this, it still does the same thing... show more Driving around in 2 wheel drive is fine, but when I switch it into four wheel drive, then I can’t take any turns at slow speeds without hearing clunking under the car, having major resistance like the car is fighting me on turning. If I switch it back into two wheel drive after this, it still does the same thing for about a day or two. Is this a transfer case fluid issue since it continues to do it in two wheel drive but then fixes itself?