Is it worth it to be a military pilot?

I’m a junior in highschool and I’m thinking of doing ROTC in either the Air Force or the Navy to become a military pilot and then once i’m done going to work at an airline. I would like to know what the actual job is like and what military life outside of flying is like.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Go here for a lott of the info you are seeking.

https://www.google.com/search?q=article+on+what+it...

GB

Major, Squadron Commander, 42nd Bomb Wing, 2nd Air Force, Strategic Air Command (SAC), 1960-74

• 2 years ago

First, you need 20/20 or better uncorrected vision to become a pilot.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

There are certainly a lot of benefits that come from being a pilot. Ranging from a certain kind of "prestige" that few others in the military benefit from, to generally a base line of respect and being treated like an adult. It s also one of the most difficult paths you can try to take in the military. There are plenty of other potential pros and cons, like being paid more than a lot of people because of flight pay and such, but also you ll be deployed more often than most. It s all subjective in what you d consider a pro or con though.

I d personally suggest you look into the Army. Enlist into an aviation MOS, (for example, 15T or U), after a time, become a Crew Chief, get onto a flight company, learn as much as you possibly can throughout all of this, maybe at some point drop a packet to 160th, (actually, you could drop a packet even in AIT, but I digress), eventually drop a packet to go Warrant, then become a pilot that way. The Army is the only branch that allows enlisted people to become pilots. (Warrant Officers in general are still technically enlisted and are not Commissioned Officers)

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 years ago

TROLL BS !

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 years ago

The first thing you need to seriously consider is, do you have anything to offer as an Officer in the US Military. All pilots are Officers FIRST and pilots second.

Once you answer that question, then you can move on to thinking about being a pilot.

Also consider the 11+ year commitment. UPT plus ten years.

Source(s): Retired AF SNCO,
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Most of the people that did it would say yes, along with all of the people that tried and didn't get a pilot slot.

Pilots are officers, which means they have to do stuff other than fly. The higher ranking you get, the less flying you do and the more other stuff you do.

• 2 years ago

I am sure every pilot thinks it's Worth it.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

If you succeed in becoming one, the answer is a qualified 'yes'. The problem is getting selected for flight training. It is EXTREMELY competitive, and out of the thousands who apply annually, only a couple hundred are selected. Out of those, 1 out of 8 don't complete flight training. And, now days, there is a pretty good chance you could end up flying drones instead of manned aircraft.

There's also this to consider. In order to apply for flight training, you must enlist first. That means that if you aren't selected or don't complete flight training, you're still committed to 4 years military service. That's not all bad in itself, but If you are selected and do succeed in getting your wings, you'll be committed to another 10 years from that point forward, so your total enlistment will run to almost 12 years.

Now, few pilots will tell you it wasn't worth it, but before you research what it's like after you become a pilot you need to be absolutely sure you're willing to deal with what I just described first.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.