Would it be a dealbreaker dating someone who has a large debt?

I am just beginning a relationship with a man that i have been friends with for years first. By being friends with him i know that he has accumulated at least a $35,000 debt. We are only in the very early stages of dating, not offical yet. I have a dilemma because i feel i have the potential to have strong... show more I am just beginning a relationship with a man that i have been friends with for years first. By being friends with him i know that he has accumulated at least a $35,000 debt. We are only in the very early stages of dating, not offical yet. I have a dilemma because i feel i have the potential to have strong feelings, even love him. I am concerned about his debt however. He is turning 30 this year. What also concerns me is that he doesnt seem to be doing a lot to sort his debts. Spends a lot of money on alcohol, gambles a little (not a lot) and just generally wastes his money. I feel his number 1 priority should be clearing his debt. Obviously its too early for me to tell him that. Im just concerned as i am going to have to be in control of finances if we do continue and get serious and i am not a high income earner. Id always hoped id be in a position to not work the first 12months when had a child etc. Obviously im looking way ahead but my concern is what sort of life I'd have with him. What are your thoughts? Does it matter? Do i just go wuth my feelings and sort out his debts later?