aladdinwa asked in SportsBasketball · 1 year ago

Why do two of the "First Four" winners get 11 seeds in the Regionals?

I mean, if the two teams are good enough to be playing for the No. 11 seed, then why aren't they good enough to be seeded 11 and 12, to begin with? It seems to me that all four of the "First Four" games should be playing for the No. 16 seeds in the Regionals. What gives?

• David
    1 year ago

The 11 seeds are basically lower end invitational teams, with conference champions not as strong usually being the 12 through 16 seeds.

• aladdinwa
      1 year agoReport

That still doesn't answer my question. If both teams are strong enough to play for the #11 seed, why not just seed them 11 and 12, to begin with, and have the #15 and #16 seeds compete in the play-in game for the #16 seed?

• STEVE
    1 year ago

Because that's what the committee decided

I think they're meant for the good teams from smaller conferences (who didn't win their conference championship) and at-large teams from the power conferences. The committee also wants to avoid rematches in the first couple rounds

In my opinion, any team that wins their conference championship should be in the round of 64. The play-in teams should be strictly "at-large" teams. I prefer the 11-seeds having play in games because they're usually "at large" teams, as opposed to the 16-seeds

• aladdinwa
      1 year agoReport

But, if they're both playing for the #11 seed, then the committee obviously thinks they're both stronger than the #12 through #16; and yet the loser is going to be out and teams deemed weaker, by the committee will still be in.

1 year ago

Because they scored the most touchdowns.