why should we define objects past mars as planets if they have no formal surface?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago
    Best answer

Because having a solid, crustal surface is not one of the three criteria for an object being a planet.

• 9 months ago

They all have Solid Cores

And they are bigger than us

So I would keep that to yourself

• Clive
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Because what else do you call an object that is big, round and orbits a star?

• 9 months ago

Because there's a sense in which that's also true of Venus, and in other star systems of hot Jupiters.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Eric
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

They just bestow names on things they claim exist billions of miles away. It's how they justify the billions of dollars they squander that would be better dedicated to schools and hospitals and communities and real science. Not pseudoscience.

• 9 months ago

They meet the definition of planets. A planet doesn't have to have a solid surface. If it orbits the sun, dominates the region of its orbit, and it big enough for gravity to make it round, it is a planet.

• Nyx
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Ahh, but they do have a "formal" surface.

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/system/downloadable_i...

• Zardoz
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

The gas giants have a defined surface. They don't have a true surface. The atmosphere becomes more liquid like grading into solid like.

• 9 months ago

According to the Ancients, planets are "wanderers". If they wander, then they're a planet. Sounds simple to me.

• 9 months ago

Because they DO hsve a surface underneath all that atmosphere is why.

Planets chemically differentiate with iron and nickel forming the cores of ALL the planets. That is WHY they have global magnetic fields stronger than Earth's magnetic field..

Source(s): B.S. geology, M.S. ABT geophysics, B.S. physical geography, M.S. geology
  • 9 months ago

Because having a 'formal surface' isn't part of the 3 criteria that define a planet.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.