? asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 9 months ago

Why would mice not go upstairs once they were in a house?

Update:

Americans, can you only answer if you understood the question...

Why would not .....once in a house?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Mice will explore a building for three things: Food, water, and to nest (or find nesting supplies).

If you have mice in your basement and are afraid they will travel up the stairs, simply put a sweeper on the bottom edge of your door so they cannot slip through under the door.

• Kim R
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

No reason why they won't if they think there's food up there. We even had 2 of them go up into our attic and there they died and stunk up the place quite badly until I found and removed them. No food up there, so these must have been particularly stupid mice.

• 9 months ago

In my house they don't come upstairs because I have posted a sign at the top of the basement stairs warning them of 24-hour cat patrols.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Dalek mice cannot deal with stairs.

• Snezzy
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

OP failed to indicate whether or not they were Dalek mice. Wewilltakeovertheuniverse - assoonaswelearntodealwith - stairs. Regular mice (along with fleas and ants) already are in control of my universe. Used to have ticks and chiggers but the fire ants ate them. Hurrah for fire ants!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

Kitchen is where the food is. The mice know that, and it used to be that bathroom soap was made out of horse bone marrow(so another food source. Newer soap do not use that anymore so unlikely in the bathroom anymore.

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Mice go where the food is. They may wander around and explore and occasionally find their way to the upper levels of the house, but if there's no food or water to be found up there then there's no reason for them to stay.

• Mj
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

Put some food out up there and they will soon arrive.

• 9 months ago

rnaybe they cant clirnb stairs, if i was that little i probably wouldnt be able to clirnb stairs either

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

We have mice that can climb a blank concrete wall, so it's not clear why they would have any difficulty with stairs!

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

They do. Like rats up a drainpipe, so to speak.

They go wherever there is a source of food, so that means they tend to target kitchen or dining areas which are usually on the ground floor.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

They don't? You don't know much about mice because they do and will go upstairs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.