Why were old cars lighter than today's cars?

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Zack
    Lv 7
    11 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A big reason is safety. Cars today have a much stronger structure so the driver is more protected during crashes. There are also more airbags (they don't weigh a ton, but still).

Also:

1. Less anti-pollution stuff.

2. Simpler engines.

3. Less luxury features, such as heated seats and sunroofs.

4. Less quality (and therefore lighter) tires.

5. Louder interiors, which meant less sound insulation which reduced weight a bit.

• M.
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Zack: What's an "old car" to you? A 2010 model?

At age 18-19 you surely haven't been exposed to much. I think your answer is VERY inaccurate, and based on pure ignorance. It's not a good method for an engineer. Maybe you should be a politician. You're already halfway there!

• 11 months ago

they werent older cars were better built safer but were heavier

• 11 months ago

They were not.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

nope. modern cars are built light to get the best gas mileage .................................

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 11 months ago

A 1970 Dodge Challenger was about twice as heavy as a 1980 Dodge Challenger. The 1980 was much smaller. A 1986 Corolla was lighter than a 2009 Corolla. The 2009 was much bigger than the 1986. Tell us what cars you meant. When you say "old" I'm thinking 1950's and earlier when many cars' bodies were mounted on a steel frame. More modern cars are unit-body design without that heavy frame.

• ...Show all comments
    • The Devil
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

80 Challenger was a Mitsubishi with the G52 -2.6 L silent shaft engine- 105 HP, imported for Dodge with the MD904 transmission and AC...yeah, I had one.

• 11 months ago

My old '62 Nova with a 4 cylinder iron duke engine weighed around 2880 lbs., but it had wind up windows and rubber floor mats, no A/C or any kind of insulation. The most basic of basic transportation.

• ...Show all comments
    • RICK
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Thee '62 had a 4cyl but not the Iron Duke
      It was 153ci basically made my cutting 2 cyl off the 230ci inline 6

• arther
    Lv 4
    11 months ago
    • ...Show all comments
    • arther
      Lv 4
      11 months agoReport

When you say prepaid I've often wonder is the test honest? The Malibu runs thru the Bel Air in that test

• 11 months ago

Where is the evidence they were?

Old cars were built with steel chassis, iron engines, big diffs, steel wheels and iron brake drums.

New cars may be larger but I doubt if they are heavier.

• 11 months ago

They weren't. Modern cars are lighter due to manufacturers' need to increase fuel efficiency. Lighter cars use less gas.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Fewer computers and safety regulations dictating structural integrity.

• ...Show all comments
    • curmudgeon55
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Johnson rod? Stanley and White steamer may have had one- is the rod that open secondary steam valve on double action steam cylinders . Muffler bearing? -Early Buick front drive exhuast system had a spring loaded flanged coupler with rounded end from manifold, 'Bearing' in parts book.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.