What is the point in living?

Lately I have been thinking about life, the universe and meaning. I have become interested in Philosophy, but I mainly disagree with its principles and its obsession over trying to advise people with how to live their lives, instead of focussing of truths. If there is no afterlife, and life is indeed finite, then... show more Lately I have been thinking about life, the universe and meaning. I have become interested in Philosophy, but I mainly disagree with its principles and its obsession over trying to advise people with how to live their lives, instead of focussing of truths.

If there is no afterlife, and life is indeed finite, then everything we do is ultimately meaningless. If after we die there is eternal nothingness then every action and every decision we make will amount to nothing. Just think about it; there is no point in doing anything if one day you are going to die and will not be able to remember any of it.

Everytime I ask this question, people respond with some nonsense about how I should be trying to have a happy life, but it all seems pointless to me. I just want to exist - I don't care about happiness or how other people live their lives. Unlike the majority of people, I have accepted that my life will be miserable, and depressing and disappointing. It does not matter how I live my life; one day I will be dead and none of this will matter.

To be honest I just want to know whether anyone else shares a similar view to me. It seems that everyone is disillusioned with this idea of hedonism - trying to maximise happiness - instead of seeking truth. Thank you for taking the time to read my question, and I will be grateful to here your opinion.