Salvage Rights?

So in the boating world you can get modern pirates. If I became stuck in my boat and someone came and offered to tow me off they could claim salvage rights on my boat. Somebody said there is something you can say to the other boat, something about insurance that then makes the other boat unable to claim your boat as salvage. Does anyone know what this is.

TIA

If you're on the boat they can't claim salvage rights. Salvage rights only apply if the vessel is abandoned.

Actually if somebody can get a tow line aboard whether your on the boat or not the YES they can claim salvage rights .

No person on board then in most cases the full value of the vessel and if any cargo is on board then the full value of that can also be claimed.

That is the real reason why a captain will stay aboard a vessel even if it appears likely to sink.

Now if the captain stays aboard or the owner does the same the salvage that can be claimed goes down to a percentage of the total value.

And if a boat washes up after coming adrift the finder once again can claim salvage rights.

Look it up in international marine law.

The thing is they can only claim a percentage of the value of the boat/ship if the owner is aboard.

Now it gets rather complicated if the vessel is sunk.

the question has be asked and answered so many times on this site about salvage of sunken craft or sunken cargos.

These are usually the property of the insurance company who paid out compensation in the form of an insurance pay out.

So before anybody carries out a salvage attempt they have to acquire salvages rights from the insurance company or arrange a percentage of the value of the salvaged materials..

I agree. Former boat mechanic here, unlike cars and trucks, boats exist in a very harsh environment so things deteriorate fast. But they often are not make in large quantities so many parts can be either poorly engineered and/or sold in small volume so each one is pricey.

In Florida for example, there is no claim of salvage so a boat that washes up in your yard after a hurricance does not become yours. You cna't claim an sunken boat either. laws are all different,

Get TowBoatUS or the other one, you'd be stupid to go out without tow insurance.

As long as you are still on your boat it can't be claimed as salvage, but the rescuer can negotiate a fee to tow you off

Look up the "Laws of Admiralty." Or laws of the open seas. It is possible to claim salvage. But no one would exchange their boat for a tow.

• it is i

We've rescued people who have been adrift for days in the Indian ocean. If we'd have wanted that piece of junk, we could have had it. Instead, we just let it go and took them to shore.

• chris

I guess it may depend on where you are!

Here in NJ I was told by a Coast guard officer (many years ago) that the craft had to be "adrift" and "unmanned" to be salvaged. So, as long as someone is on it, or it is tied or anchored, it can't be touched.

I also knew a guy who salvaged a sunken jet ski. He turned it into authorities and they held it for one year before he could claim it as salvage.

Check the specific "maritime" laws for the waters you boat in.