Are there any sailors or anybody who's familiar with nautical terms out there?

Who is a watch officer on a ship's bride?

Does he keep a binocular with him all the time when on duty?

"By this time a watch officer had his glasses on a boat."

• Cei
    Favorite Answer

Quite often called the officer of the watch.

That person is nominally in charge of the ship and responsible for the safe operation of the ship, maintaining it's course etc.

They usually have binoculars with them at all times when on duty.

For the 8-12 watch I was just on, it was the 3rd Mate. No, he was mostly on the computer or reading a book. I was lookout.

I wouldn't say they are 'nominally' in charge, but in fact in charge and responsible.

The officer of the deck or watch officer is the direct representative of the ship's commanding officer and is responsible for the ship according to most maritime law, whether litoral or on the open sea.

Poeple should open a book once in a while.

• ?

You must be reading old time stuff. Yes, in the old time days, watch officers were standing around with binoculars around their necks.

I was OOD in the 90s which is really in the 2000s and I can assure you, they have not used binoculars as you describe since ships got outfitted with radar and sonar. There is an umbrella of aircraft above the fleet at all times at sea. They are equipped with infrared cameras and radar too.

They still have a sextant on the bridge but they do not use it either. They have GPS.