Why aren't liberals pro-choice when it comes to workers and companies who don't want to associate with labor unions?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Because unions are required by law to represent all people in that shop. With "right to work laws" people can opt out of paying "agency fees" which are fees which a union charges to defray the costs of representing you. (It's distinct from dues which are also used to fund things like political activism on behalf of the union. No one can be forced to join a union as a condition of employment). If people can get the benefits of union representation without paying the costs then they're likely to take that option, which weakens the union.

• Blonde
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because that was not on the list of talking points.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

A lot of liberals don't worry about right to work laws. They just oppose the underlying deception behind the idea, which is creating more power for corporations.

I would support a corrupt labor union over a corrupt corporation any day.

The Gilded Age was a pretty loony time.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

No company or boss has to join a union.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • -j.
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Why aren't conservatives pro-life when it comes to giving people health insurance so they can afford treatment to not suffer and possibly die?

• 8 months agoReport

Yeah, and a lot of them are medical bills. Look it up if you don't believe me.

• PoBoy
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because of the free ride non-union employees get. You take a job where I work, but refuse to pay union dues. My union negotiates a new contract and a 15% raise. You get the raise that my union dues made happen.

• Capitalist Dingo
      Lv 4
      8 months agoReport

I'd take a raise if it was offered, just as long as there's no strings attached.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.