Democrats: how do taxes help me?

I am a college student and work part-time.

I have to pay almost $200 per year in property taxes for my car (which I am making payments on).

How exactly do these taxes help me, as a lower income individual?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Sally
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Do you drive your car on public roads? Do you use public libraries? Were you educated in public schools? Do you eat good that is safe because it was inspected? Do you have clean air and water to drink and breathe because the government makes sure you do?

Attachment image
  • 7 months ago

You need a road to drive on. Taxes pay for the road. And your school gets money from the government from taxes. Without it, your tuition would be higher than it is. Honestly, you only mentioned two things, but the two you mentioned, are things you benefit more from because of taxes. If you had to pay the full price for school not subsidized, or pay more for car repairs because of bad roads (or pay for the roads themselves), you would be far more poor than you are now.

• 7 months ago

You can find out exactly where those taxes go and what they pay for. Rest assured, if you are not a direct recipient of the benefits provided by those funds then you are a tangential recipient.

• david
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you do not want to pay taxes on a car, just sell the car. --- It is possible to live without one. Then you won't need to complain about taxes anymore. --- Never get a job and you won't need to pay income tax. Never buy a house and you don't need t pay property tax. === Any questions?

=================================================

How are roads built? How are roads repaired? How are cops paid to try and keep those roads safe from unsafe drivers, speeders, etc? ==== Can you guess? T____ ... fill in the blank.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

You're a college student.

That college benefits and has benefited form numerous subsidies and tax breaks.

It wouldn't exist if it was an actual for profit business.

I don't know what country you're from that you think property taxes are paid on owning a car. They aren't. Even if there were such taxes, they'd be considered luxury taxes, but most likely you've confused the "fees" for car ownership and registration as being property taxes, which is stupid, as these fees go to fund car related costs.

• Capitalist Dingo
      Lv 4
      7 months agoReport

I'm in North Carolina and I have to pay "Vehicle property taxes" as specified in the letter.

• 7 months ago

They don't. Taxation is theft.

• 7 months ago

Since that is a state payment to the government and more like a fee than a tax it pays mainly for road construction/maintenance but local state taxes also pay for courts, monopoly oversight of utilities, schools, streetlights, law enforcement, prisons, environmental protection, food safety inspections of restaurants, ....

• Juana
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

You do need streets to drive on, don't you?

• 7 months ago

You know those roads that you drive your car on? Taxes help keep them in better condition. Could you imagine if they were left to waste away to nothing? Your car would be so damaged that you'd wish you could have spent some money to make sure they were taken care of.

• SMH Corp
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

The fact that you think explaining the purpose of taxation is "stupidity" only highlights your own idiocy, Game boy.

• 7 months ago

Have you noticed the roads that you drive your car on? I wonder where they came from?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.