Poll: People who slow down to look at the wreck(s) on the road and ultimately hold up the traffic. Do they piss you up?

• 1 year ago

I live in California where the traffic is really bad sometimes. When I see a wreck slowing down the freeway, radio announcers blame 'rubberneckers'. But I don't think that's the problem at all.

Suppose you've got a freeway with three lanes in each direction. (Not uncommon here). Because of the wreck, one or two lanes are closed. Three lanes of 'rush hour' traffic have to funnel down to one lane, and that can back traffic up for a mile. I can't go any faster than the car in front of me, who can't go any faster because of the car in front of him, and so on, up to the wreck. When you finally get down to one lane, speed picks up again because there's no more merging.

Now, at this point, if people were 'rubbernecking', there'd be space between the cars. People would be going slower to look at the wreck. But they're not. They're still three or four feet behind the car in front. It's not 'rubbernecking' that's slowing down the freeway, it's one or two lanes being closed.

What does happen sometimes is that people coming the other way, at full speed, will look at the wreck and cause another accident on that side. That's rubbernecking, but that's not what slows down traffic behind the first wreck.

• FN - 2187
      1 year agoReport

Wow you live up to your name

• super
    1 year ago

Yes they annoy me they are noisy

• Dimple
    1 year ago

yeah they do.

1 year ago

They don’t piss me up. However, they definitely piss me off.

• 1 year ago

It's a good idea to slow down as you pass an accident. When the police are on the scene, you usually have to slow down whether you want to or not.

1 year ago

Yes. It's sick. I purposely don't look because I start crying otherwise