Why don't more people support the Libertarian party?

I mean, how can you chose the Republicans or Democrats over them?

There is nothing appealing to me about mandating religion nor getting "free stuff" that I didn't work for.

• 1 year ago

Because they know it won't win the election, so by voting for it, they'd be throwing away their chance to influence who does win.

• 1 year ago

I did before they became a fringe wing of the Republican party. They used to be more socially liberal than they are now because of the Tea Party co-opting them. All the parties have a problem between what they say they stand for, and what they actually stand for when they have power, these days. Republicans expand government, run up deficits, Democrats only pay lip service to helping people who don't have money or power. Libertarians seem to want to be all up in everyone's business. The only thing that seems to be true now, is that you pick the party that is left when you choose all the other ones you don't want to be a part of.

• Zirp
    1 year ago

Because they understand reality. Adressing the problems caused by capitalism with increasing capitalism won't work. It will just make the rich even richer and make the poor even poorer.

Free markets never last long. Every competition has winners and losers. Losers go out of business, winners are left with (semi-)monopolies and presto: your capitalism has become crony

• mickey
    1 year ago

most people are not smart enough to like the libertarian idea

most people are do gooders or busy bodies and cant leave others alone and thats why they like one of the major parties

• 1 year ago

Because it is a joke.

Claiming a silly ideology will somehow produce a Utopia? They've never even run a state according to their untested ideology.

Libertarians fall into two groups. Greedy bungs who think you can rule by writing a program and following it to the absurdist ending or Republicans who like drugs. Of the two, most are just Republicans who like drugs.

• Again, claiming that the LP is anything similar to the GOP or that Libertarians condone drug use simply exposes your own ignorance.

• 1 year ago

Anybody who thinks the Dems are all about getting free stuff is watching too much Faux News.

Anybody who thinks the Republicans are all about mandating religion is watching too much CNN.

• I got that from reading their platforms.

You obviously are in a love triangle with both.

• Susie
    1 year ago

Did you even hear their last candidate speak??

• Yes.

And I've also heard Trump speak.

I'll take my pick.

• Kevin
    1 year ago

because an overwhelming majority of Americans support Donald Trump, Ben Shapiro, and Steven Crowder: All conservative Republicans

• Most Americans don't even know who that latter two are.

None of my conservative, Trump-supporting relatives would even recognize them.