How many truly dead stars (which are not dwarf, neutron or black holes) are there in the universe?

Has there been enough time for ANY dwarf star to truly go completely black and cold?

• 1 year ago

No, there hasn't been enough time yet. Unless you count white dwarfs, which I don't. White dwarfs have stopped producing energy by fusion, so they are just slowing radiating away their heat. But the oldest white dwarfs are still at a few thousand kelvins.

It will take at least 1 million billion years (10^15 years) for a white dwarf to cool down to 5 K.

• 1 year ago

Probably none as of yet because the Universe is not considered old enough. Also, they would never reach absolute zero.

• aladdinwa
      1 year agoReport

Eventually, everything will reach absolute zero. Let's just say, for argument's sake that "dead" means the same temperature as the Cosmic Microwave Background. Which, right now, is only a few degrees above absolute zero.

• 1 year ago

Ask that in one of the other universes (in the multiverse) that's several hundred billion years old. Maybe someone there knows the number of them in that universe.

• 1 year ago

I've never heard of such a thing, the cores of stars don't dissipate the same way as the star's outer shell. The gravity has to turn the cores into something. The closest I know of to completely gone is a black dwarf which is a core which has cooled to essentially a cold black stone invisible against the backdrop of space (our sun's end fate) if you really want nothing, send in a black hole I'm certain it will be happy to finish up the job and gobble up the remains.

• 1 year ago

No, probably not. I do not know, and I don't think anyone else knows except obviously delusional people.

1 year ago

no there has not been enough time for black dwarfs to cool.

it takes trillion of years to form a black dwarf.

• 1 year ago

Twenty six

1 year ago

how would we know sweetcheeks

• aladdinwa
      1 year agoReport

Well, if the universe is not old enough for a dwarf star to truly have gone completely black and cold, then we know the answer is zero, right? Is the universe is old enough for a dwarf star to truly have gone completely black and cold?