Anonymous

What should I do?

Im 18 & about to graduate Highschool.. should I go to the refineries, make $18-$20/hr 1 thousand a week & save money. OR go to college, stay minimum wage & study for psychology?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

energy jobs are by the Cs of Ks,there will be many more created,,dump psych,aim for tech geo/earth sciences, chemistry type majors

a gig as an intern in a related field may turn out to be a neat career,,helping whittle down confiscatory monthly loan payments in double time,,watch debt,get a dependable used car,pay cash whenever possible

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 year ago

go to college working is for chumps

• 1 year ago

What do you want to do with your life? Do you have the brains, talent, money for school, or do you need to work & save for a year?

BTW, $18/hr does not come close to $1000/week, especially not after tax. Your $720 gross (if you get a full 40 hrs) turns into take-home pay closer to $500/week after Social Security & Medicare, federal income taxes, and your state's income taxes (& any other deductions in your state), and health insurance once you're eligible, are all deducted. Do the math!

• Jahal
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

The poorly written question suggests that you're not about to graduate from high school.

What kind high school student would ask about working in "the refineries "?

Sounds like a middle aged troll who left school in 3rd grade.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Psychology will require you to get a doctorate degree to get work. Do you want to put that much time into your education?

$20.00 per hour X 40 hours = $800 per week. Then take out taxes and Social sercurty and health insurance.

You are not making $1000 a week.

Any career you are interested in that would only need a Bachelor degree?

• April
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

It depends. Do you have a clear idea of the path you want to take? Have you talked to some people in the profession about their jobs? Is work in the field available in the area you plan to live? Can you graduate with a reasonable amount of debt? (The general rule of thumb is to base your borrowings on your expected entry-level earnings.)

Working after high school is great if you're saving money and gaining life experiences, but if you're not saving it could be a lost cause. The cost of tuition is only going up.

In the end, you have to decide. Where are your natural skills/interests? Some people are passionate about entering a skilled profession, whereas some young adults don't know their career plans and only go to college because their families insist they go.

• 1 year ago

I’d say go straight into school otherwise you’ll lose your motivation. Going back to school is going to be much harder when you have to say goodbye to all that money. I had to move states for school just because I knew I wasn’t interested in classes when I could be bringing in 12.25 working 3rd shift at a plastic factory. Plus, the older you are the more your going to regret and wish you already had that degree. You could have a family at home, making finishing school a lot more difficult.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

rnaybe you can go to work while youre going to college and study psychology, and just do both

• Martin1 year agoReport

Refineries is a full time job, 60+ hours included I wouldnt have the time to go to college while doing refinery work sadly

• If you have a legit college plan that will result in an actual job then go for it. If it's just go to college and maybe come out with a degree and maybe get a job that will pay off debt then don't and take a couple years off from school.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Both r good

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.