Do you need to ask for hand in marriage before proposal?

Hi All, I need some help, do you need to ask your partners parents hand in marriage before you propose? I know most people tend to do this but I'm struggling. I love my girlfriend, she's the best thing that happened to me. We have been together now for just under two years and we are perfect for each... show more Hi All,

I need some help, do you need to ask your partners parents hand in marriage before you propose?

I know most people tend to do this but I'm struggling.

I love my girlfriend, she's the best thing that happened to me. We have been together now for just under two years and we are perfect for each other. She's helped me with so much and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.

My parents advised me to ask for permission first before the proposal but the only problem I have. My girlfriend is always with me and I rarely see her parents on my own without her been with me.

Could I text my partners Mum and Dad asking for permission or would you avoid this?

I am 22 and I don't have a clue what to do haha, any help would be great.

Thank you.