Why do our governments constantly tell us the we'll have all electric cars by an x amount of years?

I can't remember the figures, but they always say oh ''Norway will have all electric cars by 2028'' or something, its too long, they should start, in every single country tomorrow, just make a huge worldwide effort, we're a big family, just ******* get at it, its too long, its crazy.

it is a fire departments nightmare to put out an electrical car battery fire.

• Jeff

I remember reading school books that told me the world would rely on jet packs and moving sidewalks buy the 1970s.

• Snezzy

Wasn't it that our HORSES would have jet packs?

They don't tell you that. What you hear is marketing, not a government conspiracy.

Bard, governments have never told me this. I think I am either out of the loop, you are being a lot more by government than I am, or you are spreading fake news. Governments can have my gasoline-powered car when they pry the wheel from my cold, dead hands!!!

they lie

• F

By coincidence, you quote Norway in your question. just returned, never seen more EV anywhere. Teslas are more common that Fords, lots of Nissan Leafs too and many Toyota hybirds.

• Robsteriark

Norway is far ahead with that because they have the huge advantage of plentiful and very cheap hydroelectric power made easy to achieve by having a huge number of coastal fjords.

• Neil

You cannot just change all the cars in a country, never mind multiple countries at the same time, that quickly.

It takes about 3 years to develop a new car from design start to production, and that's assuming the key technologies already work. Then the car is in production for at least 5 years, usually more, and once the car has been bought it will be in used for between 12 and 20 years. So a car in regular use today could have been built in 1999, started production in 1993, and therefore development started in 1990.

The owner of that 1999 car might be able to afford to replace it with a 2005 car, but not a brand-new 2019 car, and definitely not a brand-new 2019 electric car that costs 50% more than a similar-sized petrol car due to battery costs.

Switching to electric cars is more difficult than just replacing old cars with new. There isn't yet the battery build capacity to build enough batteries to power the electric cars currently being built (hence the order books for some of Hyundai and Kia's electric cars have been closed until next year). The world needs to build the battery factories before we can replace all cars with electric.

Also figure in car factory capacity. There is some excess capacity in the car industry - if all factories worked to capacity they could probably built 50% more in a year than they do normally, but that isn't enough to replace every car in use in a year. If we have cars on the road today built 20 years ago, then in 20 years time we will have cars on the road built today. Building the extra factories just to produce more cars for a very short time to enable the change would be a huge waste of money, concrete, and other resources.

To be perfectly honest, some of the government timescales are not achievable unless the process denies poorer people the ability to own cars, which would be too unpopular for most governments to consider implementing.

• FlagMichael

...and those electric cars will be autonomous, we are assured.

conspiracy

• arther

Does your government do what it says its going to do? Mine is full of bullshitartists it doesn't really matter what they say as they are all voted out when the time comes. They all sell out to the highest bidder. By 1988 no Australian child will be in poverty was one catch phrase that comes to mind. By 1988 there was more poverty than ever before.

probably cause theyre hoping we will