Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 8 months ago

Can someone help me not lose my bird??

My parents want to get rid of my bird because it doesn't get attention even though they know I always check on it every hour for food and water and I clean the cage once a week. I also hang out with it every hour. I am the only one doing things for it. I try to convince, but they don't want to listen to me. Can someone help me come up with something to say to them or do something else with the bird? I would appreciate it a lot.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Tell them how happy the bird makes you

• 8 months ago

Checking on the bird and feeding it isn t enough.

Most birds are social creatures and NEED interaction, especially if there is only one.

If you aren t spending an hour or two a day INTERACTING with your bird, I mean playing with it or training it, then your bird isn t getting enough attention.

Don t let your attachment to the bird overrule what is best for the bird.

I recently came into a situation where a Goffin Cockatoo who had been mostly alone in her cage for the last five years needed a home. I wasn t sure about being the forever home but knew I could foster her for a while. I spend about an hour hanging out with her every morning and at least an hour or two every night. Sometimes she s sitting on my shoulder while I work on the computer, do light chores or watch movies, sometimes it is actively training her. On days I don t work I spend a lot more time with her. This is what a bird needs. Sitting in a cage all day they get depressed and are very very lonely.

So...to answer your question, if your parents see you DIRECTLY interacting with the bird, hanging out with it and training it, they will be more likely to beleive the bird is getting enough attention. If you train the bird to do tricks, that will be a real demonstration of your time with the bird.

I've been training my new friend to target and touch...and because I train my dogs in front of her she has learned to spin and twirl very quickly by watching them. In fact, if I am training the dogs in front of her she gets excited, climbs to where ever she is closest to us and demands to be part of the training session.

• 8 months ago

But its not yours

You are a CHILD so you can not and do no own it. Since you don't take care of it and are clearly bored of it, its best they get rid of it and don't allow any more pets

• 8 months ago

LOL that you hang with it "every hour". No bird needs that much attention plus don't you school, little one?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

Tell them how happy the bird makes you

• 8 months ago

You should have included what kind of bird, how loud is it, how do your folks feel about it - and - how much is it costing to keep it, along with who is paying for it?

I have two Quaker parrots and two green cheeks. Every night I clean the papers, add new food and water. Every few weeks I take the cage outside and pressure wash it squeaky clean.

Your problem is you have no idea why this bird is making your parents unhappy. You make it sound like out of the blue they are picking on it. I am 100% sure there is more to this - like the bird is making lots and lots of noise, they don't like the smell, they like paying for the seed and vet...… there is something going on here. What is it?

• Anonymous8 months agoReport

It is a cockatoo and it does scream but not a lot. They love the bird and it is in a nice happy, healthy home. It doesn't cost a lot to keep it. My parents pay for the food and I take care of it.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Keeping an animal in a cage is cruel and sadistic.

• Anonymous8 months agoReport

She isn't always in the cage. She is really only in there overnight or if no one is home. Besides that, she's usually outside of it. Plus you have to have it in a cage

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.