What do users of Global Warming think of the proposed emergency Oregon bill that restricts restaurants from freely handing out straws?

Bill Title: Relating to a restriction on restaurants providing single-use plastic straws to consumers; declaring an emergency.

Summary: Prohibits food and beverage provider or convenience store from providing single-use plastic straw to consumer unless consumer specifically requests single-use plastic straw

SB 90A, Oregon State Legislature: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2019R1/Measures/O...

And I see Dirac the troll tried to erase my original reply with his 20+ sock accounts. If a troll reports a post over 20 times, then it disappears. Unfortunately for our resident troll--I resurrected my answer. Nice try! lol

Below is the post Dirac the Troll tried to erase. Now, even more people will read it. Thanks, Dirac!

More statutory code means less freedom and more money out of your pocket. Almost every time you pass a law--you curb a freedom.

More statutes means more code enforcement. So now, instead of having one code enforcer for a handful of statutes--you now have dozens of code enforcers for hundreds of statutes. Contested statutes means more judicial employees. That's more government and more tax dollars. That is more money out of your pocket. It grows exponentially.

A business can longer put out a straw dispenser on the counter. A customer asking for a straw adds one more task to an employee who was in the back room, but now has to come out to the counter and hand a straw to a customer. That costs you time and money. Multiply this statute by many like it, and you cost a business. Pretty soon--no one wants to do business in your city or state.

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

Its one of those feel good things that will do nothing .

This is getting rediculous

• Thorn

Liberals want to ban straws and plastic grocery bags

while cons want to ban a woman's right to choose or tell people who they can marry

or refuse to let transgendered to serve in the military etc.

Cons claim to be for small government but the government they want has more control.

Personally, I don't use straws and I recycle.

Restricting is better than banning. I don't know the specifics of the order but I doubt any employee will have to complete a herculean journey to give customers their straws. I suppose they can sit behind the counter but out of reach of customers? Unless you are disabled to some degree or have a hard time moving your neck/hand/upper body, do you really need a straw? It is convenient and nice but you don't have a fundamental right to a product. I don't see this having anything close to a noticeable effect on CO2 emissions but it will reduce costs for restaurants (on a small margin) and will reduce overall plastics which is a good thing. Not every straw ends up in the nose of a sea turtle but why not reduce waste on things you really don't need. This is arguably one of the smaller inconveniences in life and Oregon has every right to restrict what they like -- as does any governing body

I don't see any connection between straws and climate change.

• JimZ

It is one of those virtue signally things like plastic bags that the ecofascist propose regularly to ensure their cult is up to date with the latest rituals. In reality, it accomplishes next to nothing but it allows the cultists to feel like they belong and that they are saving the planet. In California, you have to ask for straws and I had a straw at my favorite restaurant last weekend that was paper and it stuck to your lips. It sucked....really it didn't suck ...

I read that Starbucks is planning to do away with straws to appease the cultists (and the owner is one) so they are making a lid that is bigger than the current lid and the straw together but all that matters to the virtue signallers is that you show you care about the Cause, that you belong to the cult.

Elizabeth in my comments suggests that grocery stores being forced to make people pay 15 cents has resulted in 90% usage drop. I'm surprised it isn't higher than that. Instead of using grocery bags for cat litter and small trash bags, I'm forced to buy my bags so there is nothing being protected in the environment. I'm just being inconvenienced. My bags are disposed of properly and don't end up in the ocean. That is just propaganda and the typical sob stories those in power use to make the gullible feel guilty. It also makes those that comply with their cult virtue signalling point to those that use plastic and say "infidel". It makes these pathetic ignorant people feel superior to those that are properly skeptical of the virtue signalling. Power is knowledge. People need to resist these anti-science cultists that push crap like that.

• Elizabeth

Or they are doing these things by legislation because it worked in other nations and could reduce plastic waste. But I guess evidence-based policy decisions based on what did and didn't work internationally is no longer something Americans care about ...

• sam

great

• Dirac

While I like the end result, this could probably have been better achieved through common sense and public pressure, rather than legislation. It's easy to see what motivated it, though--some restaurants just want to dump straws on your table. I've been out with a group of people where there might be half-a-dozen unused straws left over, which seems ridiculous. Plastic is definitely a problem, but I don't really see that it has much to do with global warming.

I see your claim that I tried to erase something (this question, some answer?), which I find more than a little surprising, since this is the first I've seen of this question and I've been asleep for 7 hours or so. Am I deleting questions in my sleep now? Also, I'm more than a little curious how you would know that it takes 20 accounts to delete a question, unless you've run your own experiments along those lines.

As usual, I just have one active account--this one.

• Dirac

Like I said, wilds_of_virginia, i have two accounts that I closed and can no longer access (James and pegminer) and that's it. While I can be snarky when I think people are misrepresenting the science, everything I say here is true. If you see something you don't believe, call me on it.

I think we should reduce plastic use as much as possible. Recycling is great, but still there are so many plastics ending up in our oceans, poisoning and killing animals.

Plastic particles are now even found in bottled water.

It's a good idea.

Initiatives that help reduce the amount of plastic we dump are fine by me.

• The Burg10 months agoReport

Either take the Talladega bet or admit you're a coward and leave the Global Warming section.