Will I be able to get my passport..?

I live in the UK. I applied and paid to renew my passport online a few weeks ago as it expired in 2016 – I haven't travelled abroad for years, so didn't need it. I'm going on holiday to Spain mid-June. I have not been able to send off my documents for renewal yet as they want me to send them my photo... show more I live in the UK. I applied and paid to renew my passport online a few weeks ago as it expired in 2016 – I haven't travelled abroad for years, so didn't need it.

I'm going on holiday to Spain mid-June. I have not been able to send off my documents for renewal yet as they want me to send them my photo ID and they keep it for weeks. It's my only form of ID and I need it in day-to-day life, but also because I'm midway through getting cleared for a new job.

I have now heard there's a passport office one hour away from me that I can go to in order to renew my passport, which will mean I don't have to be without my ID for weeks.

BUT, I don't know if I will have to pay again to do it this way or not.

Does anyone know how all this works? I tried calling them but it's all automated and no option to explain the situation, and also tried sending a contact form but it bounced because apparently their mailbox is full.
Update: Spoke to someone there eventually, they said they won't even need my ID and don't know why their system said they did. Lol