Andy asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

Should I rehome my dog?

My wife wants to rehome our dog because she poops in her cage sometimes and we have a baby about to be born and she doesnt want the baby to be exposed to dog poop.

• 1 year ago

It is in the crate for too long. A crate is a puppy used discipline tool. It's not a home. It's not a place to shove the animal when it gets rowdy. If its a puppy, it needs to go outside every 2 hours. How is it supposed learn how to tell you it needs to go if you don't teach him how to tell you? Dogs do not rebel using their bladder. Research cesar milan and learn how to be a better owner to your dog.

• 1 year ago

Rehoming a dog is a personal choice. Like someone mentioned before me, if the dog is pooping in the crate it is being left in there too long. A puppy should really be going out when it wakes up from a nap, after it eats, after it drinks, and about 30-40 minutes in between. If you are going to put the dog in the crate I would definitely take the dog for a walk before putting in a crate. This way the dog is tired and will most likely sleep in the crate. When the dog goes potty outside don't be afraid to get excited and reward the pup for doing what you want. Be consistent about it.

• 1 year ago

Sod her

1 year ago

stand up for the dog. Pets are forever not just for christmas

• Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

childrenwho grow up with dogs and cats have a stronger immune system

• 1 year ago

And what are you going to do when the baby poops? Huh? Obviously you don't have a clue how to take care of a puppy. Just like human infants they too have to pee and poo often, can't hold it, poor puppy, you never should have gotten it, re-home it to someone who has knowledge. I,m not going to waste my time on telling you how to take care of the puppy.

• 1 year ago

Don't rehome your dog just because your wife says so, just train the dog better to do it outside. Also the baby is not going to be going into the crate full of poo as long as you clean the crate and keep the baby away from it. Also the baby will be pooing on himself\herself, what is your wife expecting? There is no need to rehome your dog. Don't let your wife tell you what to do.

• Either commit to loving and caring diligently with a loving heart or contact the nearest Humane Society. Also donate all the puppy's toys, blankets,crate. On second thought the sooner has forgotten you the easier the transition to a forever home will be.

• 1 year ago

No the wife..........

And you should dump the dog cage and train the dog instead

• e9601:
    1 year ago

Get real. Are you going to put your baby in the poop crate? You need to rehome your dingy wife. Walk your dog more often, it should'nt have to be crated all the time.

• 1 year ago

No, you should not rehome the dog. It is both your faults the dog poops in a cage. A well trained dog does not need to be crated. I hate crate training. No one potty trained the dog. Why did you get a dog & then not train it? The dog needs to get out of that damned cage. In my eyes you could put the baby in the crate & leave it there for hours on end. Ignore it.

Why don't people train their dogs? It is mostly for our sake dogs are trained. I want & demand a dog to be 100% obedient. I am a hard task master & I demand.

Three main things you teach a dog. When you first get it you potty train it to go potty outside & you teach it not to bite. Then Basic Obedience, 7 commands that will teach your dog to be obedient.

Don't know if you didn't know to train a dog or that dogs were trainable. Is he just a dog with no training? He can be so so so much more if trained.

How is a baby going to get into dog poop? You have plenty of time to train the dog before the baby is crawling around. That dog was your baby first & now you want to get rid of it. It don't make sense. Join an obedience class & in 8 week you have an obedience trained dog. But you may need to be a hard task master. Obedience Training is obligatory, the dog learns, period.

All of our learning is repetition, doing something over & over & over until you 'perfect' it. Training an animal is the same thing. Our children's schooling is all repetition.

That baby is going to be his baby too. They should meet the moment you come in the door with the baby. Get down to the dogs level & let him sniff, kiss, inspect the new member of the family. Some day that dog may be your best baby sitter. You will have to teach them both to be gentle with each other. & don't forget you have a dog that wants to love that baby too.

• My dog Bailey absolutely ADORES my niece and always comes to get one of us when she's crying.

• *****
    1 year ago

If the dog is defecating in its crate, it is being crated for too long. No dog wants to sit in its own feces. If you're unable to let the dog out at appropriate intervals to go to the bathroom and get exercise, the dog absolutely should be found a new home that's able to provide proper care.