Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 year ago

Baby Names: Just by reading it, how would you pronounce the name "Jakobe"?

Would you pronounce it:

a. JAY-kub

b. jay-KŌB (with a long O)

c. JACK-uh-bee

d. juh-KŌ-bee

e. other ______

PLEASE COME UP WITH YOUR ANSWER BEFORE CONTINUING.

-------------------------------

The reason I'm asking is I want the name of a character in a short story I'm writing to be pronounced like d above, but I'm not sure how to spell it to make sure by reading it only, one would naturally know how to say it. I want it to be intuitive and not belabor the story with some device or scheme to explicate how it's pronounced.

So, if your first instinct WASN'T d, how would you spell it to get the pronunciation of d? I thought of Jacoby, but I'm not sure that's any better. I also want his mom to call him Kobe, like how Kobe Bryant pronounces it, but all his friends to call him Jack.

The name is key to the story because he runs into a man from his mom's past that has that as his last name, which, with some other things, causes him to question his paternity, whether his dad's his dad.

Another concern is rooted in the character being just a regular, present-day, white kid in his sophomore year at state college, meaning I want a name that's contemporary but that doesn't sound not-white, like I don't want it sounding foreign or ethnic as he being a cookie-cutter, middle-working-class, white Anglo-Saxon Protestant from the burbs is essential to the story, too.

So, your input on how to spell the name to mentally evoke the desired pronunciation and background would be appreciated.

• 1 year ago

Answer D. Ja-ko-bee is how I'd pronounce it.

If you use a c instead of a k, people will be tempted to say Jacob, then with ee sound at the end.

• 1 year ago

Yak - o - be

or

Yak - obe

----------

Jukobee or Jewkobee

--------

but that does not give you jack and kobe

jakkobee - perhaps

jack and middle name kobe

• 1 year ago

OT as to rio aricaravriivaraivrria

• 1 year ago

I think I started to read it like D, but then I remembered that a family member's dog was Jakob, and figured it was a further variation on Jacob, with the E silent. Though I think you might emphasize the E sound by an extra E, a Y, or an IE, just the fact that you have certain nicknames in the story will clarify it to anyone who misses initially.

• John P
    1 year ago

I would pronounce it in good German style: "Yak-oh-buh". That is because I have studied German, and visited Germany several times from my native Britain. It is the German from of "Jacob".

• 1 year ago

Like the Jacobites. But instead of saying "bites," its pronounced "Jack-o-be." Or "Jack-oh-bee."

• 1 year ago

Jacoby would be the English spelling that accomplishes what you want

• I would read that as C above. Or a combination of A and C, JAY-ku-bee.

• 1 year ago

Its pronounced 'my parents are cnuts'

• 1 year ago

"Jacoby" would be the clearest and most obvious way to spell the name in order to imply the pronunciation you're looking for.

1 year ago

Jakobe is traditionally pronounced "Jack-obee", so C.

• 1 year ago

My answer was E. "ya KOB" If you want it pronounced like D, "Jakoby" is the most reasonable alternative. I think "Jakobe" leaves it open to assuming the "e" is silent, or pronouncing it in German, where the J sounds like a Y.