Can I work at a non-profit in another country while on probation for marijuana possession?

I am going to do a Study Abroad trip this summer in Panama. I will be doing an internship with a non-profit. I am on probation for marijuana possession though, and in the States, any place that receives federal funding does a federal background check and therefore can see my pending charge. Will this become an issue in Panama, however, as they do not receive federal funding from the U.S.? Do you think my program provider will be the one to run the background check, and if so, could they see it somehow?

I don t know if I should fess up and tell my program provider and risk them dropping me, or keep my mouth shut and hope for the best.

1 year ago

Hopeful travelers with criminal convictions must apply for visas even when they'd otherwise not need them. So make sure first that Panama would even let you in (most nations would not) and then worry about passing the background check.

• Thanks for the response! It is not yet a conviction; therefore, would I still need to take these extra precautions? Who would I ask to get information about this?

• 1 year ago

Nope.

• “Nope”? Wanna say why, friend? please only offer an answer if you’re actually well-voiced in law.

1 year ago

first you say you are on probation , then you say pending charge . which is it ?

• I am on probation - therefore it is a pending charge 🤦🏻‍♂️ please only offer an answer if you’re actually well-voiced in law.