Mom is terminally ill, how long does a foreclosure take in NC?

My mom is 80 has no assets and only very little savings. No 401k, no life insurance, nothing. Her social security and small pension has been able to cover the mortgage payment (she is upside down in the mortgage that she has only had 7 years - - - she sank all her savings into the house unwisely). She was... show more My mom is 80 has no assets and only very little savings. No 401k, no life insurance, nothing. Her social security and small pension has been able to cover the mortgage payment (she is upside down in the mortgage that she has only had 7 years - - - she sank all her savings into the house unwisely). She was diagnosed 9 weeks ago with a terminal cancer and the prognosis is only about 3 more months at the most. I manage her money now and did not make the last 2 months mortgage payment due to her medical expenses. They of course are already sending letters. I have no idea what to do. I know the house will go back to the bank in foreclosure eventually, but I don't know whether to call the mortgage lender and tell them the circumstances or keep waiting. I'm afraid if I tell them, they might speed up the process of foreclosure because they know my mom will never be able to attempt to pay it. I don't know how much time we have to work with to wait and see how long she may live and then clean out the house of personal belongings, etc. I need some advice to lessen the anxiety. Should I call the Homeowners HOPE hotline? Should I call HUD for mortgage assistance counseling? Any advice is appreciated.