Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 year ago

Is it too early to propose?

Hi I'm 32 my partner is 33 we've been friends since we were kids. We starting dating about 6 months ago & live together. Is it too soon to propose? I know it's an opinion based question but advice. Welcome thanks. P.S I'm the man.

• 1 year ago

Yes. Even though you have a long history together, you only have 6 months as a romantic couple. That's easy. What isn't easy is the next 50+ years. Take some time. TALK about everything. Marriages work because the people in them have shared values and goals, and work on the marriage. Give the romance a full year during which time you talk about your financial goals. your hopes and dreams, your career plans, what type of family you want, religion, politics, lifestyle, etc.

• 1 year ago

Go for it!

1 year ago

Men who want to propose after six months are way too controlling. Had you thought about it when you were younger? I would say go for it but I'm sometimes a screwup.

• 1 year ago

Not too early.

1 year ago

6 months and already living together?? idc if you've known each other since you were kids, friends and relationships are very different.

• Ocimom
    1 year ago

I think so. Give yourselves at least a year to really know each other through good and bad times. Discuss how to handle money, household chores, religion, children, etc.

• drip
    1 year ago

Have you talked about marriage? How to handle finances, children, religion, jobs. Everything the other post listed?

Even though you are both older and have known each other for years,six months of dating isn’t long enough.

1 year ago

Yes it's too early to propose especially if the two of you have not discussed marriage and all that it entails in detail.

What happens if one of you gets a dream job offer 2000 miles away?

What happens if one of you wants kids and the other doesn't?

What happens if one of you becomes or is religious and the other isn't?

What happens if one of your parents or siblings becomes disabled or terminally ill and needs care?

What are your financial goals? Attitudes towards debt? How will you handle your money?

How are things working with each of your families and your friends? Any resentments/boundary issues?

What kind of lifestyle do you each want? House? Apartment? Pets?

What will happen if she gets pregnant?

What does commitment mean to each of you? What are you willing to do to save the marriage?

How will you resolve conflict?

If you haven't discussed all these things and determined that you're compatible for a lifetime, then you have no business proposing.

Generally speaking, the time/place of a proposal may be a surprise, but the proposal itself shouldn't be.

• Jerry
      1 year agoReport

I think it unlikely there will be meaningful discussion of "In our marriage, what happens if one of us gets a terrific job offer 2000 mi away?" without there first being mutual agreement to marry. Otherwise it's just "When I win the lottery, Rolls or Maserati?" talk. (No thumbs.)

• I think you should have a chat with your partner about getting married before you propose, see how they feel about marriage and getting married to you. They may or may not be ready to get married. If they're not ready for marriage, or they don't want to get married then you may get a no when you propose.

If they're all for getting married, then start ring shopping.

• David
    1 year ago

The sooner the better and don't forget the ring.